The See of Fulham was created in 1926, in order that the Bishop of London might have a Suffragan to assist him in the care of those parishes in Central and Northern Europe which were under his jurisdiction. In all, there were seven Bishops of Fulham from 1926 until 1980, the last of whom – John Satterthwaite – was also Bishop of Gibraltar, prior to his appointment as the first Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe, on the creation of the Diocese of Europe in 1980, after which date the See of Fulham fell into abeyance.
In 1982, the then Bishop of London, Graham Leonard, resolved to revive the See of Fulham, in order that he might have a Suffragan who would assist him in particular in the Two Cities Area and he chose the much-loved Vicar of Holy Trinity, Hoxton, Fr Brian Masters, to be what we might call the first Bishop of Fulham of the modern era. After only three years, Bishop Brian was translated to the See of Edmonton, where his distinguished ministry continued until his untimely death in 1998.
Bishop Masters was succeeded in 1985 by John Klyberg, who at the time was recently returned from Africa, where he had been Dean of Lusaka. Following the decision by the General Synod in 1992 to proceed to the ordination of women to the priesthood, the then Bishop of London, David Hope, devised The London Plan - a precursor to the Episcopal Ministry Act of Synod, 1993 - under which the Bishop of Fulham cared for what were to become known as Resolution C parishes throughout the diocese. Bishop Klyberg retired in 1996.
The third Bishop of Fulham of the modern era was John Broadhurst, whose episcopal ordination took place in St Paul’s Cathedral on 24 September 1996, following a long and distinguished ministry in the Diocese of London, including fifteen years in Wembley Park and eleven years in Wood Green. His responsibilities extended into the Dioceses of Rochester and Southwark as well as London and it was during his episcopate that the ‘Fulham parishes’ developed their very marked sense of cohesion. Bishop Broadhurst retired in 2010 to join the Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham.
Between 2011 and 2013 responsibility for episcopal oversight of the Fulham parishes in the Dioceses of London, Southwark, and Rochester was given to Bishop Peter Wheatley, the Area Bishop of Edmonton.
Ordained in 1973 Bishop Peter has spent all his ministry in London, becoming Archdeacon of Hampstead in 1995, and Bishop of Edmonton in 1995.
Bishop Peter has a particular interest in international development affairs and is a past chairman of Christian Concern for Southern Africa. He is a keen cinema and theatre-goer and has a life-time interest in music.
A new appointment to the See of Fulham was made in March 2013, with the translation of Bishop Jonathan Baker, who had previously served as Bishop of Ebbsfleet, the Provincial Episcopal Visitor for the western half of the Province of Canterbury.
Bishop Jonathan trained for the ordained ministry at St Stephen's House, Oxford. He served his first curacy at Ascot Heath in Oxford Diocese from 1993 to 1996 and then moved to become Priest-in-Charge and subsequently Vicar of both St Mark's and Holy Trinity, Reading, from 1999 to 2002. In 2003 he was appointed Principal at Pusey House, Oxford. He was consecrated as the fourth Bishop of Ebbsfleet on 16 April 2011 in Southwark Cathedral.
As Bishop of Fulham he is now responsible for the pastoral care of parishes operating under the 'London Plan' in the dioceses of London, Southwark, and Rochester. Bishop Jonathan is also licensed as Guild Vicar of St Dunstan-in-the-West in the City of London.
His recreational interests include theatre, poetry, opera and walking.